Monday, January 3, 2011

The Imitation of Christ: On the Book, its orientation, and capturing the struggle

One of the challenges of commenting on a devotional book is in the extra scrutiny applied:  In trying to get it right, I want to avoid the tendency to over-analyze.   Clearly I want to communicate the brilliance and holiness of such a work as the Imitation.  At the same time, I don't want to miss anything by being hasty. 

However, having used this book for years as a prayer guide, I can only begin to acknowledge the countless points where, in confusion, I turned to the Imitation...which has shown meThe Way.

Curiously, the edition I use has, as its first picture, that of Christ, readily carrying His Cross up toward the light, with the caption - "I Am The Way".  If you've ever been in the military, specifically at Fort Benning, Georgia, it reminds me of the "Follow Me" statue there at Ft. Benning.

Briefly, dear reader, before you begin your journey, take a few minutes to study the Contents, which can be a grounding to orient your study and prayer. The edition I carry has the Contents in the back of the book.

At some point, I will go through each chapter and lift a particular meditation.  But for now, I'm going to select a meditation  because it struck me as particularly valid during my time in prayer.  From Book III (Interior Consolation), Chapter 48 ( The Day of Eternity and the Miseries of this Life), para 4: 
4. Comfort me in my banishment, assuage my sorrow; for all my desire is after Thee, and all that this world offers for my comfort is burdensome to me.
I long to enjoy Thee intimately, but cannot attain to it.
I desire to cleave to heavenly things, but the things of this life and my unmortified passions bear me down.
I am willing in mind to be above all things, but by the flesh am obliged against my will to be subject to them.

Thus, unhappy man that I am, I fight with myself, and am become burdensome to myself, whilst the spirit seeks to tend upwards, and the flesh downwards.
This captures the struggle quite well, don't you think?

Thank you for reading and praying along with me.  'Til next time, be Imitators of Christ!
tim

No comments:

Post a Comment