Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hiding Gifts in the Open, and Radical Conformity

First, a few housekeeping items.

I had some technical problems lately, which delayed my post. I had this all written out and then “poof” it was gone. So I’m now typing into Word and uploading.

Second, I will soon be loading a podcast along with each blog post….as soon as I can figure out how to point blogger to the podcast.

Third, after some reflection, I decided to revise the language of The Imitation of Christ just a little to modernize it for ease of reading. I will do my best to keep the tenor and tone the same. But why stress out about the meaning of compunction, for example, when guilt works fairly well? Just so you know, I’m consulting three separate translations (and I gave up on a fourth) to make sure I get the tone and meaning correct. Let me know what you think.

Here’s this week’s post on Bk 1, ch 1, para 2.

Last time, we ended the opening paragraph with this admonition:
Let it be your chief study to meditate on the life of Jesus Christ.

In paragraph 2, Good Thomas brings us to a truth, a problem, and a solution.

2. Christ's teachings surpass all the teachings of the Saints, and if you have His Spirit you will find in that place of teaching, hidden manna (Rev 2:17).


But it happens that many by frequent hearing of the Gospel are not influenced by the Gospels because they do not have the Spirit of Christ in them.


But if you would fully and with feeling understand the words of Christ, you must study to conform your whole life and mind to the mind of Christ.

In the first sentence, Thomas quotes Rev 2:17, which states: “whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the victor I shall give some hidden manna….” This is also an allusion to The Bread of Life discourse (see John 6 ,Yes, the whole chapter).

So the first thing Thomas told us in paragraph 1 was to turn on the light. Now it’s time to look for food with our Holy Flashlight (see last post).

God has fun with us, doesn’t He? He has a sense of humor, not in a teasing way. The manna is hidden in plain sight. It’s in the Gospels. It’s as close as your nearest tabernacle. It’s a prayer away. In psalm 78, the Israelites were pelted with manna! In John 6, Jesus tells us that He is the Bread of Life, and that He’s been here all along, hidden in plain sight. Ever try to make bread in secret? Or hide fresh bread? Impossible! In my house, we’re lucky to get the loaf in the oven without the little birds chirping for dough or pinching the loaf. Once it is baked, they are standing in line for a slice. You can’t hide it! And God doesn’t hide His Gift to us either. He wants us to have His Spirit, His Son, Himself.

The next sentence reveals the frustration of presenting a gift, but the receiver has no idea that the gift is there, or sees the gift as a burden. People see the words of Christ in the Gospel as a burden rather than liberation from earthly pursuits. In a way, this reminds me of Easter Egg hunting with my small ones. They can be looking right at an Easter Egg but not see it. And while I’m shouting and wildly gesturing to them, the walk right by this little gift and walk all the way to the other end of the yard for the one egg they do see. Of course, some other youngster picks it up way before my child arrives. Meanwhile, the eggs rights there have been picked up as well. This sentence also reminds me of when people find out they are expecting a baby, and the difference between those who welcome new life, and those who reject the new life.

The final sentence plays off this theme with a plea to conform not just your life, but your mind as well, to the mind of Christ. When I read this, I thought of the Scripture from Romans 12:1-2:

“I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship.

Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.”

Of course, I don’t know if this is what Good Thomas had in mind (pun intended), but it certainly fits the theme. Now where I came from, conformity was something you did not want to do, since it made you like everyone else. But this is RADICAL CONFORMITY. Conforming the life and mind of Christ, as we shall see in the paragraphs and chapters ahead, is a life-long process.  We will look for the narrow gate.

Next time, we’ll look at how to be profitable, vain, and insensitive.

Thank you for reading and praying along with me. 'Til next time, be Imitators of Christ!

tim

No comments:

Post a Comment