Wednesday, March 21, 2012

First Station: Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane


Jesus in the Garden
of Gethsemane
 What does Thomas a'Kempis have to say about the Stations of the Cross?  His great book has many entries that walk with Jesus from the Garden to the Tomb and Beyond.  Today, and in the coming days, we will take that journey with Jesus, and Thomas, and our fellow travellers.

First Station: Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane

Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took along Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to feel sorrow and distress. Then he said to them, "My soul is sorrowful even to death. Remain here and keep watch with me." He advanced a little and fell prostrate in prayer, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will." When he returned to his disciples he found them asleep. He said to Peter, "So you could not keep watch with me for one hour? Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."
(Matthew 26:36-41)

Meditation: From Book 3, Chapter 48: The Day of Eternity and of the Miseries of This Life.



Jesus in the Garden
by El Greco.
 5. Oh how I suffer inwardly, while with the mind I consider on Heavenly things, and presently a crowd of worldly things rushes upon me while I pray. My God, be not far from me(Ps 71:12), nor
depart in wrath from Your servant (Ps 27:9).

Cast forth Your lightning and scatter them; send out Your arrows,(Ps 144:6) and let all phantoms of the enemy be put to flight.

Recall my senses unto You, cause me to forget all worldly things; grant me quickly to cast away and despise the imaginations of sin.

Succour me, O Eternal Truth,that no vanity may move me.

Come unto me, O Heavenly Sweetness, and let all impurity flee from before Thy face.

Pardon me also, and in Your will deal mercifully and gently with me, so that whenever I pray, my thoughts are only of You; for I confess truly that I am continually distracted.


Distraction of the mind
 For oftentimes, even though I am sitting or standing there in body; but rather am I wandering where ever my thoughts carry me. Where my thought is, there am I; and there commonly is that which I love. Of course, those things which readily occur to me, are those which, by my own habit, naturally delight, or please me.

St. Escriva

6. For this reason You Who are the Truth has plainly said: “Where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.” (Matt 6:21).

'Til next time, thank you for praying along with me.
tim

No comments:

Post a Comment