Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Third Station: Jesus Falls the First Time

III.  Jesus falls the first time

 

Meditation from Book III, Chapter 20, The Imitation of Christ

The Confession of Our Own Infirmity and the Miseries of This Life

As Jesus bears the cross to Golgotha, he stumbles under its tremendous weight and because of the severe nature of his wounds.  As Jesus' wrestles with the heaviness of the cross, He meets the oppressiveness of our sin.

Thomas teaches us today, to meditate on those sins that cast us into the mire, but to hope in God's Mercy and gentle Hand.

DISCIPLE:  I will confess against myself my injustice (Ps.22: 5).  I will confess to You, 0 Lord, my infirmity.

It is oftentimes a small thing which casts me down and troubles me. I make a resolution to behave myself valiantly; but when a small temptation comes I am brought into great straits.

It is sometimes a very trifling thing from which proceeds a grievious temptation.

And when I think myself somewhat safe, I find myself sometimes, when I least apprehend it, almost overcome with a small blast of wind.

2. Behold, then, O Lord, my abjection and frailty (Ps 25:18), every way known to Thee.  Have pity on me and draw me out of the mire (Ps. 69:15), that I do not get stuck there, that I may not be utterly cast down forever.

Next time, I will return to the Scriptural Stations.

Until then, thanks for reading and praying along with me. Be imitators of Christ!
tim

No comments:

Post a Comment